John is an accomplished attorney, focusing on trial level and appellate litigation in state and federal courts. He has handled commercial litigation matters ranging from contract actions and business disputes to construction and real estate related lawsuits, including eminent domain, commercial leasing controversies, land use and development issues.
With a B.S. granted in 1978 from Florida State University, an M.A. (1983) and a Ph.D. (1985) obtained from Washington University in St. Louis, and a J.D. awarded with honors from the University of Miami in 1991, John was a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the Duke University Medical Center. He has taught at the College of William and Mary, Washington University and Duke University.
Admitted to the U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Middle and Northern Districts of Florida, the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Judicial Circuit and Florida's state courts, John has achieved an AV Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell and is a Partner at the Firm.
- B.S., 1978, Florida State University
- M.A., 1983, Washington University in St. Louis
- Ph.D., 1985, Washington University in St. Louis
- J.D., 1991, University of Miami, cum laude
- Florida’s state courts
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
Recognition, Awards and Certifications
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Duke University Medical Center (Durham, NC)
- AV Preeminent rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Defended a general contractor in multi-district federal class action litigation involving property damage and personal injury claims related to installation of Chinese drywall in high-rise condominium project; successfully represented a subcontractor in product and construction defect action involving multi-million dollar oceanfront property; successfully represented property owner in claims against subcontractor resulting from water damage to oceanfront house; defended developer/property owner in action related to construction defects alleged by subsequent purchaser of multi-million dollar beach house.
Commercial DisputesInitiated a breach of contract action against municipality regarding management of city owned country club property; represented a real estate development company in challenge to a public-private redevelopment project for construction of commercial property and parking garage; defended a software development firm in false claim/qui tam action dealing with a multi-million dollar penalty and possible debarment from future government contracts; brought action against disloyal former employees for enforcement of non-compete agreements and for damages; represented a government contractor in suit against state agency and former employee for theft of trade secrets and breach of contract; assisted a national real estate development company in eminent domain and breach of contract proceeding against utility regarding operation of golf course; successfully defended federal contractor against claims under false claims act.
Publications, Presentations and Professional Activities
- How To Contest a Construction Defect Claim, Construction Business Owner (July 2011)
- From Judgment to Lien, Florida Homebuilder Magazine (Jan-Feb 2009)
- Instructor of General Psychology, Experimental Psychology, Learning and Memory, Physiological Psychology at College of William & Mary (Williamsburg, VA); Washington University in St. Louis; Jefferson College (Hillsboro, MO); and Duke University (Durham, NC)