With 35 years of construction law experience, representing the spectrum from owners to sureties to contractors to subcontractors on a large variety of projects, John is a welcome addition to the firm’s growing construction practice. Born and raised in Miami, John is an AV Preeminent-rated lawyer and a well-regarded litigator.
John has handled all manner of construction law engagements, including contract drafting, contract controversies, construction liens, coverage disputes, delay claims, surety disagreements, and condominium demands. He has represented owners, developers, contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, sureties, and insurance carriers.
He has appeared before administrative bodies, arbitration panels, and state and federal courts. He has lectured locally and nationally on construction topics of current interest, and often been involved in multi-party litigation.
John graduated from Christopher Columbus High School, Loyola University in New Orleans, magna cum laude, and Tulane Law School.
- B.B.A. , 1978, Loyola University, magna cum laude
- J.D., 1982, Tulane Law School
- Florida, 1983
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- Federal Claims Court
Recognition, Awards And Certifications
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Rated
Publications, Presentations And Professional Activities
- American Bar Association, Tort and Insurance Practice Section, Member, Fidelity & Surety Committee
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section, Member, Construction Committee
- American Bar Association, Member, Forum Committee on Construction
- Surety Claims Institute, Member
- National Bond Claims Association
- Dade County Bar Association, Member, Construction Law Committee
- Author and Lecturer “Construction Insurance, Bonding and Liens”, Lorman Educational Services, 2006
- Author and Lecturer “Construction Insurance, Bonding and Liens”, Lorman Educational Services, 2005
- Co-Author “Liability of Performance Bond Surety”, The Law of Performance Bonds, ABA, 1999
Successfully tried and prevailed in a 7 week trial on behalf of a subcontractor against the general contractor and surety and defeated their multi-million dollar counterclaim; successfully represented a developer and resolved a multi-party construction defect and condominium violation lawsuit; successfully tried and prevailed to judgment in a lawsuit in bankruptcy court on behalf of a subcontractor against the contractor; successfully tried to judgment an 8 day trial defending a contractor against claims of a subcontractor; represented sureties and their principals and successfully resolved multi-million dollar claims against the surety bonds; represented numerous subcontractors in construction lawsuits addressing construction defects, surety claims, liens and contract actions; successfully represented a contractor in multi-week arbitration commenced by a subcontractor on a state project; successfully defended and resolved numerous contract and bond claims on behalf of general contractors; represented subcontractor on behalf of insurers under commercial general liability policies addressing construction defects.