About John Gregory
With 35 years of construction law experience, representing the spectrum of owners to sureties, contractors to subcontractors, on both large and small projects, John has handled all manner of construction matters.
He has been involved in contract drafting, contract controversies, construction liens, coverage disputes, delay claims, surety disagreements, and condominium demands. He has represented owners, developers, contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, sureties, and insurance carriers. He has appeared before administrative bodies, arbitration panels, and state and federal courts. He has lectured locally and nationally on construction topics of current interest, and often been involved in multi-party litigation.
Born and raised in Miami, John graduated from Christopher Columbus High School and went to Loyola University in New Orleans where he graduated magna cum laude, and then attended Tulane Law School.
- B.B.A. , 1978, Loyola University, magna cum laude
- J.D., 1982, Tulane Law School
- Florida, 1983
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- Federal Claims Court
- Successfully tried and prevailed in a 7 week trial on behalf of a subcontractor against the general contractor and surety and defeated their multi-million dollar counterclaim;
- Successfully represented a developer and resolved a multi-party construction defect and condominium violation lawsuit;
- Successfully tried and prevailed to judgment in a lawsuit in bankruptcy court on behalf of a subcontractor against the contractor;
- Successfully tried to judgment an 8 day trial defending a contractor against claims of a subcontractor;
- Represented sureties and their principals and successfully resolved multi-million dollar claims against the surety bonds;
- Represented numerous subcontractors in construction lawsuits addressing construction defects, surety claims, liens and contract actions;
- Successfully represented a contractor in multi-week arbitration commenced by a subcontractor on a state project;
- Successfully defended and resolved numerous contract and bond claims on behalf of general contractors;
- Represented subcontractor on behalf of insurers under commercial general liability policies addressing construction defects;
- Successfully represented Owners in numerous contract disputes with contractors and subcontractors;
- Successfully tried to judgment a 2 week trial defending claims against the surety.
Recognition, Awards And Certifications
- AV Preeminent rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Publications, Presentations And Professional Activities
- American Bar Association, Tort and Insurance Practice Section, Member, Fidelity & Surety Committee
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section, Member, Construction Committee
- American Bar Association, Member, Forum Committee on Construction
- Surety Claims Institute, Member
- National Bond Claims Association
- Dade County Bar Association, Member, Construction Law Committee
- Author and Lecturer “Construction Insurance, Bonding and Liens”, Lorman Educational Services, 2006
- Author and Lecturer “Construction Insurance, Bonding and Liens”, Lorman Educational Services, 2005
- Co-Author “Liability of Performance Bond Surety”, The Law of Performance Bonds, ABA, 1999