Sharing the same work ethic as those he represents in the construction industry - work harder than the competition and provide positive results, Alex has been described as the attorney most of his competitors aspire to be. Known for finding the best path among a variety of options to achieve a client's particular goals, Alex heads up the firm's construction practice, and serves as litigation counsel to several state wide and local contractors and material suppliers.
Board Certified in Construction Law by the Florida Bar, he has been repeatedly selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America and Florida Super Lawyers within the specialty of construction law. Alex has been a highlighted speaker at dozens of conferences, including the annual Southeast Building Conference sponsored by the Florida Home Builders Association. His articles have appeared in the Construction Lawyer, American Bar Association Forum on Construction Law; Building Florida; Southeast Construction; Construction Executive; and Florida Home Builder.
Alex served as Chairman of the Miami-Dade Council of the Florida East Coast Chapter of Associated Builders and Contractors and is an AV Preeminent rated lawyer. He received his B.S. in mechanical engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and his J.D. from the University of Miami, with honors.
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, 1995,Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- J.D., 1999, University of Miami,cum laude
- Florida’s state courts
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Recognition, Awards And Certifications
- Board Certified Construction Law Expert, Florida Bar
- Best Lawyers, Construction Law & Litigation
- Super Lawyers, Construction Law & Litigation
- U.S. News, Best Law Firm in Construction, Construction Law & Litigation
- Approved Continuing Education (CEU) Provider, Construction Industry Licensing Board, Florida Department of Professional Regulation
- Approved Continuing Education (CEU) Provider, Construction Trades Qualifying Board, Miami-Dade County
- AV Preeminent rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Publications, Presentations And Professional Activities
- Workshop - Stop Don't Sign That Contract, National Fire Sprinkler Association (2018)
- How to Deal with Pay-When-Paid Provisions, Construction Financial Management Association (2018)
- Are You Signing the Right Release Form?, Miami Construction Forum (2018)
- A Small Business Forum "Training & Development -A Value Added", Miami-Dade County Small Business Development (2017)
- Legal Issues, Claims and Dispute Resolution Workshop, U.S. Department of Transportation (2017)
- Oops: Is it a Mistake to Fix a Mistake, Miami Construction Forum (2017)
- Chairman, Miami-Dade Council, Associated Builders and Contractors Florida East Coast Chapter (2013)
- Chairman, Education Committee, Associated Builders and Contractors Florida East Coast Chapter (2013)
Representing concrete forming contractor, obtained favorable settlement on seven figure bond and contract action against general contractor and surety on Miami International Airport renovation; successfully represented the mechanical contractor, plumber and electrician for a combined lien transfer bond claim in excess of $2.5 million; successfully represented concrete pump, place and finisher on a large construction lien claim and recovered principal, interest and legal fees in settlement days before trial; after obtaining summary judgment on liability and damages, obtained full recovery settlement for electrical contractor client against surety of general contractor on assisted living facility; successfully defended general contractor client (zero dollar verdict) in arbitration from owner's claims of alleged construction defects including roof membrane delamination and negligent supervision; defended construction client over claims of alleged water intrusion into condominium garage; successfully obtained insurance coverage and subsequently resolved construction defect dispute between client (a glass and glazing contractor) and a window manufacturer and property owner over alleged water intrusion and impact-glass delamination; reviewed, provided comments/addendum and negotiated subcontracts of various trades (including mechanical, electrical, plumbing, drywall, roofing, and masonry) paying special attention to pay-when-paid and indemnity provisions; drafted and negotiated prime contracts for construction of high-end residences; drafted and negotiated prime contract for the complete interior remodel of upscale restaurant; drafted and continuously modified general contractor's form contract for use with all trades; drafted supplier's credit application and personal guaranty; represented material supplier in successful seven figure collection effort against contractor; successfully obtained full recovery for seller of goods after obtaining six figure judgment on bad check and subsequent garnishment of debtor's bank accounts; on numerous occasions obtained favorable short-term payment plans and resolutions of disputes for creditor clients against debtors.